Simple veggie bean burgers made with kidney beans.You can use any bean of your choice of course.
I've been kind of obsessed with Mexican cuisine a lot these days!Bean burgers,pico de gallo,stuffed peppers,vegetarian chilli,nachos..you name it and I've been cooking + eating all of them!You can expect a lot of Mexican food coming up on this blog soon!🙂
This veggie bean burger was one of my earliest attempts at making vegetarian Mexican food.It can be as healthy as you want it to be.If you have access to canned beans,this recipe will take you 30 minutes or less to make.But if you cook your beans,then I do suggest you plan and cook the beans ahead of time.The patties mixture can also be made and frozen for up to 3 days. If you're not a fan of kidney beans,use whichever legume you like!这道菜真的原谅,适应性强!!
Veggie Bean Burger Recipe – Print the recipe
- ½ an Onion (optional - adds flavor to the patties)
- 1-2 Jalapeno chilli or regular green chilli (adjust to suit your spice requirements)
- ½ cup Fresh Cilantro / Coriander Leaves
- 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
- ½ Lemon (juice)
- 2 cups cooked Kidney Beans (rajma) - refer note 1 & 2
- 1 boiled Potato (optional - helps in binding better)
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons Oatmeal / Rolled Oats (optional - adds texture)
- 2 teaspoons Milk (keeps the patties moist and soft)
- 2 teaspoons Cumin Powder (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (adjust to suit taste)
- a pinch of Sugar
- Vegetable oil
- 4 Burger Buns
- Mexican Cheese (optional)
- Salsa / Pico de Gallo
- Coriander / Cilantro leaves
- Cook the beans ahead of time.You can also used canned beans
- You can substitute kidney beans with any bean of your choice.(Chickpea,Black Beans,Soybean etc.) The flavor will change accordingly.
- If the patties mixture is too sticky,y ou will need additional cornstarch or oatmeal
- Adjust the spices mentioned in the recipe to suit your taste
- In a blender or mixer,add the onion,cilantro,jalapeno chilli,garlic,a bit of lime juice and blitz to form a mix.Remove to a mixing bowl
- In the same mixer,add the cooked the drained beans and grind for 30-35 seconds to mash them up coarsely.Do not mix for too long or you'll get a hummus-like consistency.You just have to grind them enough to break them up.Alternatively,you can mash them with your hands on a potato masher or a fork too
- Add the bean mixture to the mixing bowl with the onion-garlic paste.Add the remaining ingredients - cornstarch,oatmeal,milk,盐,sugar,cumin,paprika,red pepper flakes.
- Mix to form a thick patties mixture.If it is too sticky,add more cornstarch or oatmeal and mix well.Taste and adjust for seasoning,if required.
- Divide the mixture into equal portions.Form a ball out of each mixture and gently flatten out in the center to form patties.
- Heat 1 tablespoon Veg oil per patty on a griddle.Add the patties.Let them cook on each side at a medium heat for 4-5 minutes.Do not disturb as they are cooking.Once done,the patties will release themselves.If you want,you can add a slice of cheese upon flipping the patties
- Toast up some burger buns on the same griddle (optional)
- Layer with some tomato sauce or salsa.Add the bean patty,cheese,onions / tomatoes or pico de gallo.Close with the top half and serve hot.
- You can make the patties mixture,store in a ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 3 days
- Skip the cheese or use a cheese substitute to make this recipe vegan
Veggie Bean Burger Recipe – step by step pictures
In a blender or mixer,add the onion,cilantro,jalapeno chilli,garlic,a bit of lime juice and blitz to form a mix.
You can mash the cooked kidney beans (rajma) by hand too.I added them to the mixer along with some boiled potato and gave a quick mix to break it up.Remove on a mixing bowl and mash with a fork,if required.
Add cornstarch,oatmeal,chilli powder,cumin powder,盐,a pinch of sugar,2-3 teaspoons of milk and mix well.Taste and adjust for seasoning.If the mixture is too sticky,add more oatmeal / cornstarch.
Form patties to suit the size of your burger buns.
Heat 1-2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a flat griddle and add the patties.Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the patties release themselves.Flip and cook for another 4-5 minutes.Remove on a paper towel.You can toast your buns if you want too.
To form the burger,add some mexican salsa,top it off with the bean patty.Add a slice of mexican cheese if you want.Top it of with some fresh onions,tomatoes,cilantro (orPico de Gallo).Close with the top half of the bun and serve.
For regular updates,,subscribe via Emailor follow onFacebook,,Twitter,,PinterestorInstagram!!